Green Remodeling Portland Oregon
By it’s definition, the remodeling industry is inherently not a “green” business. Remodeling is all about removing the old and putting in the new. However, the dream | design | build team of Keyser Construction in Portland Oregon believes that we have a responsibility to minimize the impact each project has on our environment.
These are a few of the steps we take to reduce waste and the use of harmful chemicals.
- Minimize landfill waste by separating out materials removed during demolition into recyclable materials and trash.
- Donate appliances, cabinetry or other materials when possible to organizations such as the Rebuilding Center or Habitat ReStores (by Habitat for Humanity).
- Use “green” products when specified by the clients. This includes using low or no VOC paints, “healthy” plywood, water-based finished, soy-based foam in furniture, etc. Options are becoming increasingly available and quality of these options is consistently improving.
- In kitchen remodeling, if the current cabinetry is in good condition, we might recommend refacing or painting existing cabinetry rather than install new cabinetry.
- Increasing use of countertop materials, such as quartz-based products (Caeserstone, Cambria, etc.), concrete and ceramic tile made from recycled products.
These are just a few of the methods we use to meet clients’ needs. We are certainly willing to explore additional methods if brought to our attention.
Click to read more about green remodeling Portland Oregon.